•A new family grant has been proposed by the government to replace the R350 grant
•We are making the document with the proposal public.
•Civil society organisations have condemned the proposal, saying it is infeasible and will leave millions of potential grant recipients out in the cold.
R350 Grant SASSA : civil society have criticized the behind closed doors and secretive proposal that was made by the government.
This proposal was that the government give out a family grant instead of the R350 relief grant.
The family grant would only be offered to one million households
The document describes the family grant as the “best both from an impact perspective as it eradicates extreme poverty,
as well as an efficiency perspective”.
It reaches this conclusion, it says,
based on modelling done by the Southern African Labour and Development Research Unit (SALDRU) based at UCT.
But this is contradicted by a statement on 28 October by civil organisations
#PayTheGrants and the Studies in Poverty and Inequality Institute.
The organisations state that SALDRU “concluded it was not feasible” to implement the family grant.
The SALDRU report is only due to be released to the public next week and we have not seen it.
The civil society statement condemned the proposed grant as
The organisations state that directing the grant through the
head of a household will only “worsen gender power imbalances”
and that it would be “administratively impossible to implement effectively”.
The organisations said that they will formally communicate their opposition to Treasury’s proposal,
that they would seek legal advice on the constitutionality of the proposal,
and also possibly organise protests if the proposal is taken forward.
Alex van den Heever, who is chairing an expert panel looking at social grant expansion
options with the Department of Social Development,
said that this proposal is “extremely problematic” since it “sidelines both government and the general public“.
- SASSA R624 PER CHILD INCREASE : HERE’S WHAT TO EXPECT
- SASSA Lists Reasons Why You Are Declined
- SRD : Why You Are Declined After Reconsideration And What To Do To Get Approved
- SASSA Worried High Volume Of Applications Will Freeze Systems.
- R700 Per Child Should Be The New Grant Amount
- R350 Update : YOU CAN NOW COLLECT YOUR SRD GRANT AT PNP OR BOXER STORES
- Do This To Apply For Reconsideration Successfully
- The government will give people job seekers allowance and R350
- R350 Grants Halted As SASSA Waits For R26.7Billion Approval From Parliament